Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Oscar 'WILDE', I love you


How can I not talk about him? His poetry is a pot of creativity bubbling with charisma, his essays talk literature at its best, his short stories takes you to 18th century Britain, a land of kings and queens, a land with prince charming and pretty princess, his novels are realistic. They amuse you.

The first ever piece of Oscar Wilde that I tripped on was his short story 'Birthday of the Infanta', a story I just couldn't take out of my system. It's been more than five years. The prose still haunts me. 'BoTI' was the perfect starter to my diet of Oscar Wilde. The main course consisted of 'The Importance of being Earnest', with his essays and poetry filling my literary palette as the right desert. His quotes are the occasional drinks you would want to sip in between food. They help you ease life. He knew what generations in the years to come would need.

He is a class apart. He carries style, criticizes social norms and societal hypocrites in the right manner. Ireland his land, but world literature lovers cannot deny the fact that we all could relate to what he has penned down. My favorite author. Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde, I wish you were alive. I would've come all the way to your land.

No comments:

Post a Comment